Past News and Stories
Verendrye Museum 5th Annual BBQ combined ‘History & Beef’ Cook-off
Over 300 people enjoyed the smell of the BBQ aroma and ate “The Beef” at the 5th Annual BBQ Competition in Fischers Lilly Park on Saturday, August 14th, 2021. The event was successful in raising funds to support the maintenance and programming of the Verendrye Museum, Inc. five historic sites (Log Cabin Visitor Center & Museum, Sansarc Country School Museum, Stanley County 1905 Jail, Ft Pierre Depot Museum and the Verendrye Museum). Over 60 BBQ contestants took part in the cook off with the Winners being:
BBQ 1st Place & Calcutta 1st: Chad Ronish
BBQ 2nd Place: Floyd’s Truck Sales – Levi Briggs
BBQ 3rd Place(tie): J(Squared) Jeff Slade/Jennifer Terry
BBQ 3rd Place(tie): LJ’s BBQ Joe Cicchiello
People’s Choice Award & Calcutta 2nd: River View RV Park-Lila & Cody Briggs
We want to THANK all the Sponsors, Donors, Cooks, Judges, Volunteers, Streetmasters and others who came to eat and sample the brisket! See you in August of 2022!
Roy & Edith Norman restored/rebuilt 6 or more old wagons to support and promote the Verendrye Museum and local businesses in downtown Fort Pierre in the mid-1970’s.
Original locations and business ownerships of some of the wagons were:
- West of Fort Pierre Hwys 14-34 at 1806 Junction, Sutley’s Grocery Store, DeWayne Strohfus
- East of Pierre Hwy 14, Chuckwagon Cafe
- South of Fort Pierre Hwy 83, near the Stanley County line, Fort Pierre Times
- Other wagons were located just south of Fort Pierre on Hwy 83; west of Fort Pierre along Hwy 14-34 on the hill; and east of Pierre Hwys 14-34 and 1804 Junction.
(Picture taken in 1980 by John Margolies, Library of Congress)
Congratulations to the winners of the 4th Annual Backyard BBQ!
Thank you to all our contestants, sponsors, supporters and to the attendees of our BBQ held on August 15th!
- First Place went to the Bad River Mafia2, Tex’s Jack Repair-Buddy Jorgensen.
- Second Place went to CHS, Chris Carter , Wyatt Johnson VM Board member presenting).
- Third Place went to Degenstein’s Hometown BBQ, Lenny Degenstein (they were not available for a picture).
- The People’s Choice Award went to Longhorn BBQ-Ken SosaWe served thirty-five briskets to over 200 people throughout the day in Fischers Lilly Park in Fort Pierre.
This is part one of three in a series of articles written by Gary Grittner and published in the Northwestern Lines National Magazine, 2018 Fort Pierre Pt. 1-depot
Another piece of history was added to Fort Pierre on July 4th, 2019. A large school bell weighing in at more than 800 pounds was permanently placed beside the Sansarc School Museum, located behind the log cabin on the corner of Hwy 1804/1st Street and Main Street in...
The 3rd Annual Backyard BBQ Competition will be held Saturday, August 17, 2019 at Fischer’s Lilly Park, Fort Pierre, SD. Proceeds from this Home Town Event benefit the Verendrye Museum Renovation. This is one of many events happening during Fort Pierre Trader Days!...
Fort Pierre has always been full of rich history and one more piece of historic culture will be added on July 4th, 2019. Immediately after the 4th of July parade, Fort Pierre will dedicate the almost century-old country school bell. The bell was previously at the...